This powerful piece of software for tracking orbits of satellites is provided freely by Analytical Graphics Inc. It is used in the department as a learning aid, and I provide some assistance with installation.
The package is available for Windows based PCs and a number of Unix variants. There are additional addons to the freely supplied software to do more advanced work. Presumably this is where Analytical Graphics are hoping to make their money.
Installation Guide - STK 4.0
This guide covers the installation of the free portion of the software on a PC running Windows. The basic requirements are around 200Mb of free disk space for the software, and the installation CD rom which I have available.
- Put the CDRom into the machine. On some machines, this will automatically start the multimedia demonstration. If it doesn't, you should run the program 'STKIntro.exe' from the root directory of the CD.
- From the introduction, click on 'Install STK4.0', and then on 'Yes' to run the installer.
- Follow the instructions, and close down any other applications you have running, and then click 'Next'
- Read the license agreement, and then click 'Yes' when you have read and accepted the terms.
- Read the information about the install options, and then click 'Next'
- If you want to change the directory the STK is installed in, do it now, and then click 'Next'. Usually there is no need to change this.
- Decide where you want the files you generate with the STK to be stored. This should not be the same as the directory you have chosen to install the STK in. Change the directory if necessary, and then click 'Next'.
- The default install options presented next are usually all you will need. If the machine already has Adobe Acrobat installed, you should untick that option. The 'VO' option requires a commercial license from Analytical Graphics, and unless you are willing to pay for this, installing it is a waste of disk space. Click on 'Next' when you have the right modules selected.
- Select the program group you would like for the shortcuts to the STK software. Usually the defaults are fine. Pressing 'Next' will start the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, you will need to start the STK software. Pick 'cancel' at the initial screen, and then pick 'License' from the help menu in the top right of the main STK window.
- Make a note of the 'HostID' as you will need it for get the license details from Analytical Graphics.
- Connect to the STK web site, and enter the HostID into their licensing form, along with your email address. The license string for the STK will be sent to you via email.
- Back in the license window of the STK program, click on the 'Enter Manually' option in the Update Passwords box.
- Click on 'STK 4.0' in the Product Passwords' box to highlight the STK module.
- Type the license string that was emailed to you into the white box at the bottom of the product list, and then click 'Update'.
- Restart the STK, and you should be all set to use the free components of the STK.
Maintained by Mark Cooke
Last Updated: 23-Dec-2003