The Birmingham Gravitational Wave Group expects to fill several Ph.D. positions starting in Autumn 2016. We encourage applications to pursue projects in any of the research areas of the group (experiments, astrophysics and observations). Studentships are assigned on a competitive basis within the School of Physics and Astronomy and, where relevant, the University of Birmingham. In addition to studentships funded by research councils, this year additional funding opportunities are available for outstanding candidates through the following programs:
- Birmingham Brazil Scholarships, for applicants that are Brazilian residents at the time of the application;
- Partial scholarships for students from China, which are meant to supplement awards from the China Scholarship Council.
Students of any nationality are encouraged to apply. We currently have more than 25 people in our group with staff, post-docs and students from around the world. Further information about our group is available here.
Ph.D. project areas
For an overview of the research areas in our group please see the research page. We are currently seeking Ph.D. students to work with Prof. Andreas Freise, Dr Ilya Mandel, Dr Haixing Miao, Dr Conor Mow-Lowry, Dr Alberto Sesana, Prof. Alberto Vecchio, and Dr John Veitch.
- A cover letter briefly stating the research area(s) of interest. A concise description of the research areas is provided here;
- A Curriculum vitae;
- University transcripts (scanned versions are acceptable);
- Applicants should also arrange for two reference letters to be sent to the above address.
The deadline for the application, including reference letters, is January 8, 2016 for UK students.
We encourage non-UK residents to notify us at gwave-phd[at]star.sr.bham.ac.uk of their intent to apply as early as possible, but no later than December 15, 2014.